I just realized today that the 5-10 minute delay in starting up of Eclipse matches exactly with a same spike in my internet usage! What the hell is going on here?
I started noticing the delay in Eclipse after I installed the PyDev plugin. I haven’t really looked into the reason for the delay, and it might have nothing to do with PyDev, but that sure would be a hell of a coincidence.
I wonder what data is being sent/received which causes this. I wonder if Eclipse is sending over keyboard shortcut usage statistics to the server – although I remember switching that feature off.
Mysterious. And suspicious!
Update: Since then I’ve had several other installations (and re-installations) of PyDev on the same and other machines and I haven’t been able to reproduce the problem. It looks like PyDev was not to blame after all. I’m still not sure what caused the problem originally. Maybe it was some other rogue Eclipse plugin. Or just something messed up with my workstation’s settings. I’ll never know…